Thursday, April 21, 2005

all night diner

tonight i took a friend to our first-ever detroit music awards.

enough about that.

by the end of the night a second and third friend had joined and i'd had two glasses of wine and no dinner.

enough about that.

when i was putting my coat on, in the middle of saying something very important (ha) over the din and the table to one friend, i got the sneaking suspicion the table behind me was laughing at something i had done. oh yes.

i had whapped a nice, seated, older gent right over the head with my spongy-squeezy-stretchy maroon scarf. imagine old man scrotum. that's what ellen calls it. (the scarf, not the gent.) anyway, if i were another woman in another situation, i could have been flirting or it could have been a feathery boa. but no. it was me. i was in mad story-telling conversation and i had created a tiny disaster, per usual, to embarrass myself and an old dude at the same time -- and end up having 8 to 10 people laughing where they used to be talking. "an adorable disaster" according to marco. yeah well. a mess anyway.

ended up i put my forehead on his arm and cracking up in apology. when i recovered, caught all the comments, took all the necessary ribs, i...yes...went back to the story while i tried to get my arm into the coat and...yuhuh...did it again.

this gave me pause. who doesthis kind of thing on a regular basis? anyway, there's nothing i can do. it follows me or, i find it. the answer was: get home before something else could happen.... get home and g e t me some d i n n e r.

threw some clothes in the wash and thought what i heard through the heating grates from the basement madly sloshing around were the jeans and t-shirts...turned out actually to be the eggs i put on the stove, right down the hallway, 14 minutes before. caught just in time. there was still some water leaping to save its own life, up and over the pot rim.

at any rate, got a helluva good-lookin cracked egg just waiting for me to devour. mm dinner. sometimes eating is a whole night's experience. knowwhatimean?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who Links Here
Free Web Page Hit Counter