Wednesday, January 05, 2005

pussy galore

anotherfuckingmurder. i do not buy all the hype about detroit. i do not buy it. but somehow there it is. some dude somehow related to mnm (is that how you spell it) and differently somehow related to a friend got murdered over the weekend. just what the hell is going on.

sunday night at cvs i'm picking up a prescription to make sure we didn't have an oops and i stop to buy some papertowels (why are the dumbest things always needed). i'm paying for the things and i tell the guy behind the register--we'll call him paul. he looked like a paul. he looked like he just outgrew his pocketprotector. he looked lonely and a little scared. and so i collected my change and wished paul a happy new year.

he stopped.

he looked at me and said real straight and honest-like: i appreciate that.

i said no sweat.

he was still kinda flustered and said as he ripped my receipt from the register: really. thank you. it's going to be a long one.

i gave him a question face.

the year, he said.

ah, i said.

i'm going through a divorce.

oh.

so thank you, he said again.

and like that. bam. another death. and another.

ellen's friend is breaking up with her live-in. they're sweet and cute. at least in public. she's had enough. and so. a death? a rebirth?

who the hell knows. if cats have 9 lives, how many do people have?

2 Comments:

Blogger stacy muszynski said...

chark, got my first sharon olds in the mail (b/c of you). the dead and the living. i open a page:

absent one
(for muriel rukeyser)

People keep seeing you and telling me
how white you are how thin you are.
I have not seen you for a year, but slowly you are
forming aboive my head, white as
petals, white as milk, the dark
narrow stems of your ankles and wrists,
until you are always with me, a flowering
branch suspended over my life.

bam. like that.

11:40 AM  
Blogger shadowbox said...

You have my rapt attention. And not because of the pussy galore. I have a thing for great prose that goes "ding!"

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who Links Here
Free Web Page Hit Counter